For anyone interested in this project, as new as it is, I’ve just put up the first download on the Google Code project page. It’s Android-only at the moment, and it still needs a lot more features before I’ll be happy with it, but it works. There’s even a bit of documentation to get you started. The code isn’t much, but it is error free and works out of the box with the simple directions on the aforementioned documentation page.
You can either download the archive, which contains the library source (AMLCode) and a test project (AMLTest), or you can use the Subversion repository if you prefer. Please check it out and see what you think. I tried to make the implementation as simple as possible, and the markup is pretty self-explanatory, but the lack of any documentation beyond just the first steps of integration will be a problem. The docs will grow as I continue working on the project.
For now, any feedback of any kind is welcome.
Okay, so I admit, anyone who is reading this post on the new AML website already knows this, but I figured it was newsworthy enough anyway. I’ve finished the current draft of the AML project website here at www.amlcode.com. The website has all of the important info transferred over from my original blog post about the project, and a much more structured layout (obviously). There’s a feedback form for any question or comments, an examples page, and perhaps most importantly, a roadmap to outline the development plans.
This is the first real open source project I’ve contributed to, and honestly it’s pretty exciting. I don’t know if I can even put my finger on why, but it is.
I spent four days last week picking up a working knowledge of Android development, and out of that effort came the first bits of what I have called Application Markup Language. It isn’t meant to (or going to) replace the current method of developing mobile apps entirely, but it will fill a niche, especially as it becomes more feature-complete.
I shared a blog post about what I came up with on D-Zone, and received a tremendous response—over 800 visits in one day. That may not seem like much to some of you, but my blog usually gets perhaps 20 hits on a good day. A 4,000% increase in traffic really told me something: there’s a definite interest in this project. The comments I got on that blog post were helpful and provided a few excellent ideas.
So, I registered a domain name, created the amlcode project on on Google Code, created a Roadmap page to show where we’ve come from and what’s next on the development list. Check out the home page for a description of what exactly AML is and does, then look at the Examples page, or the downloads page on the Google Code repository.